Tenancy Agreement shutterstock_199556258

Paying rent

Paying rent is an important part of your tenancy agreement with us as this money goes to pay for the services that we provide for you.

We ask that you set up a standing order to pay your rent as stated in your tenancy agreement.  If you are experiencing financial difficulty paying your rent by the due date, please contact us as soon as possible.


If you suddenly find yourself unemployed or on a low income you may be entitled to financial help to pay your rent. To make sure you are getting what you are entitled to, please contact your local benefits office.


Rent statement

To request your rent statement - email Linda at linda.scudder@richardwatts.org.uk including your name and property address.

How to report a repair requirement

Report repair or maintenance issue during office hours Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm to:

Lee on 07436 561027 or 01634 842194, or emailing lee.knight@richardwatts.org.uk

If your call or email is out of office hours it will be dealt with as soon as possible.

We will contact you by letter, phone or email to arrange entry to your property to carry out any works or repairs giving you at least 48 hours notice where possible.

For emergencies please contact:

Gas leaks                              0800 111 999

  • If you smell gas or think you have a gas leak;

  1. Open all windows to ventilate the property

  2. Do not turn on/off any electrical switches

  3. Extinguish all naked flames, do not smoke, strike matches or do anything that could cause ignition.

Water leaks                           0800 820 999

Electrical power cut               0800 316 3105

Security or personal safety    999 or 101 

In the event of an emergency we do have the right under your tenancy to gain access in to the property.

What repairs do you have responsibility for as a tenant?

Keeping the property in a clean state and ensuring that the internal decorative condition remains at least up to the standard existing when you took possession. This includes the eradication of bed bugs and other infestations introduced into our properties.


Maintaining and cultivating the gardens of the property where applicable and generally keeping the gardens in proper and neat order. You are not permitted to cut down any trees or hedges on the Property without written consent from the Landlord.


Keeping fixtures and effects in their present state of repair and condition (wear and tear due to reasonable use excepted) and replacing any damaged items with similar articles, of equal value.


Car Parking

Our land is private property and parking is managed by AM Parking Services Ltd which is approved by the British Parking Association.  Neither AM Parking Services Ltd nor any agent accept responsibility for loss or damage to vehicles parked on our land.

Strict rules apply to parking in our parking bays. If you have been issued with a parking permit, you should always have it clearly displayed inside the car in clear view of the windscreen and you should only park in your designated bay and not straddle any other bay.  If someone else has parked in your bay, please report this immediately on 0845 519 2774 giving the details of the offending vehicle and your car registration number to ensure that you do not receive a fine. 


Occasionally our contractors may use empty bays but they will display a valid parking permit and clearly show a telephone number to call should you wish them to vacate your space. They will respond immediately.

Otherwise, the offending vehicle, if not displaying a valid permit will have a £100 parking charge notice issued, reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days of issue (including the date of issue).  Debit card payments by telephone will incur an admin fee of £1.00 and payments by telephone using a credit card will incur an admin fee of £2.50.  Failure to pay within 28 days may result in the registered keeper’s details being requested from the DVLA and additional charges may apply.

Postal Payments and appeals should be made to AM Parking Services Ltd, PO Box 1260, Maidstone ME14 9LZ.  Payments can be made Monday to Friday 9:00-16:00 on 0845 519 2773. Secure on-line payments can be made via www.amparking.co.uk

Ending your tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy, please download and complete the Notice of Intention to terminate tenancy form.


You must give 28 days’ written notice and inform us of your new address at this time (as stated on the form).


Completed form can be sent via email to admin@richardwatts.org.uk or by post to Richard Watts Charities, Administrative Offices, Watts Almshouses, Maidstone Road, Rochester. ME1 1SE.


We will acknowledge your notice and send you details of your rent account with us.


You must pay any money owed before you leave the property.


Before you leave, our Site Manager will carry out an inspection of your property. You will be charged for any repairs or damage you are responsible for in the property. You will also be recharged for the cost of cleaning the property after you have left, if we need to do this in order to re-let it.


All keys and parking permit if applicable should be returned to the Charity by the date your tenancy expires.


It is advisable to inform the following you are moving:


  • Housing Benefit Office – If you are receiving housing benefits

  • Utility Companies including electricity, water and gas – They will take final meter readings, issue a final bill and terminate the supply when you move out.

  • Telephone provider

  • Post Office – To redirect mail to your new address

Download Tenancy Termination Form